Monday, March 12, 2012

Will my cockatiel be able to be a surrogate mother?

I found a robins egg, and for the heck of it I decided since I have several cockatiels and parakeets, maybe one of them could sit on the egg until it hatches. I figure its better than letting it die. Well, anyway, it hatched and all of the birds in my cage(very big cage), want to play parent. They are feeding the baby, but now what? Will it get the nutrition it needs? Do I keep a wild bird? How will it know how to fly if I set it free when the time comes? Any help here would be great.Will my cockatiel be able to be a surrogate mother?
I'm actually surprised that your birds are feeding it. But since you've got that covered, the only concern would be the difference in the natural diets of the species. Robins are not seed eaters, like your cockatiels. The chick will more than likely require a higher protein diet than the cockatiels can provide. You might try handfeeding small dead mealworms directly to the chick, or feed your cockatiels treats with higher protein content, so that they can pass it along to the robin. You also might try a handfeeding formula, and supplement it with protein booster.



It sounds like an odd arrangement, but it seems like it's working so far.Will my cockatiel be able to be a surrogate mother?
lol funny story.



I can't help though.



Do you have pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment