Wednesday, February 29, 2012

As a surrogate mother, would I have to provide my own medical insurance?

I am in discussion to become a surrogate mother for a couple and was needing to provide my own medical coverage. Any answers are appreciated.As a surrogate mother, would I have to provide my own medical insurance?
It depends entirely on your contract with the parents. If you're considering this, you should probably have a lawyer help you with YOUR side.



Keep in mind, THEY should be paying for all your pregnancy and birth expenses. Many times, you'd want THEM to carry insurance to cover YOU, if something went seriously wrong with the birth, requiring you to need a whole bunch more medical care.



Lastly, you won't be able to buy any kind of private insurance that covers pregnancy, let alone surrogacy pregnancy, thanks to the health reform act. So if they're trying to make YOU carry all the insurance . . . find a different couple.
You'll want to figure that out in advance and if you CAN become pregnant then it's pretty foolish for you to not ALREADY have it assuming it's available in your state (private insurance with maternity coverage that is...you should already have health insurance).



All the companies that had maternity in my state still have maternity now because maternity is mandatory in my state.As a surrogate mother, would I have to provide my own medical insurance?
That is all part of the negotiation process you have with those people you are surrogating for. It is not uncommon to ask them to pay all medical bills related to the pregnancy because it is their baby.
You will not be able to buy an individual policy for surrogate pregnancy. The COUPLE should be footing all of the cost. You need to insist on that.
That is something that needs to be disscussed they should provide it since you are doing them a favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment