Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What is your opinion on people paying surrogate mothers to carry a child?

I was just reading about Elton John and David Furnish who have paid a surrogate mother to carry a child for them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec鈥?/a>



But i'm not sure what I think about paying for children? My gut thinks it is wrong to pay someone for a child, but my head is saying why not? what do you think?



although, i do think its pretty bad that elton and david are old! i mean when the kid is 18 elton will be in his 80s! do you agree thats a bit wrong?What is your opinion on people paying surrogate mothers to carry a child?
I think it is only fair to pay a surrogate mother. She basically gives you a year of her life, has a lot of expenses and may lose part of her income.
kinda. only cause it's a little selfish knowing there's kids that could be adopted. but some people want there gene pool so they get surrogates.What is your opinion on people paying surrogate mothers to carry a child?
A surrogate, or gestational carrier, is not "paid for the child" but for the act of carrying the child. Being pregnant is a long, difficult process. In a gestational surrogacy, the carrier has to take a ton of shots and meds just to get pregnant and stay pregnant. Before you even get pregnant, there's about 8 weeks worth of stuff you have to do. The fee that is paid to a surrogate, under the laws, is considered in the same category as child support. Basically, the couple is paying the surrogate for everything she is doing to stay healthy and keep herself and the baby healthy, without putting her or her family out financially. Everything from gas to and from the doctor, paying for parking, to even little things like food craving. Couples pay the fee because it's what they can do for you in exchange for what you are doing for them. A surrogate is a 24/7 baby sitter with a huge responsibility. It's well worth the money to the couple, I can assure you.



Lastly, Elton will not be in his 80's, he will be in his 70's. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter about age as long as they give that kid a loving, secure home, which is something most couples, gay or straight, in their 20's are incapable of doing (Ashley Simpson just filed for divorce from Pete Wentz! poor Bronx)
I can definately see why people would want to do it. If I had healthy eggs, my partner had healthy sperm, but for some reason I couldn't carry a child to term, I am sure I would still want to have a child that is my biological child.



I disagree with the whole, paying poor Indian women to do it though. If I were to do it, It would have to be someone I trust and love (like a good friend) and know that they will include me in the pregnancy process. Would be so hard though, I can't imagine what impact it may have on the surrogate mother if she grew attached to the child. Though I have heard that many surrogates just keep the mindset that they are just looking after someone elses child for a while, like baby sitting...in a way.

I can see how gay couples may want it too.



However, when I hear about celebs doing it like Nicola Kidmann... I am not sure why she did it? Was it because she couldn't have children or she just didnt want to go through pregnancy? I would seriously consider peoples reasons behind it before judging them and if it was about cosmetic reasons, not wanting stretch marks or weight gain, then I disagree with it.



I find it strange the people who are surrogates multipul times, like I watched a doco about a women who had done it about 12 times for different people. I don't know, it just wierds me out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment